Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Geeks look at Balaam

Numbers 22-24

Have you ever read the story of Balak and Balaam in Numbers? It's an incredible portrayal of how God will work in a man, and how stubborn some individuals can be.

Here is Balak, the king of Moab. He sees the nation of Israel coming towards him, and camping beside his country. So rather than stop, listen to their emissaries, and see what actions are being taken (travelling, camping, no hostile moves) he thinks "they are going to attack me. Oh no! Oh no! What will I do?" So what does he do? He calls for a prophet/priest/magician from among the Amorites. Balaam. Here is a very spiritual man who knows who God is, and even communicates with Him, but isn't completely obedient (later on he encourages Israel in idol worship - Numbers 31:16). The emissaries of Balak come to him, offering great gifts - these emissaries were the governers and leaders (princes) of Moab, so obviously Balaam was someone important. He takes their gifts, then does the sensible thing: He asks God. God says "do not go with them. You must not curse this people, because they are blessed."

So Balaam goes back to the leaders of Moab and says "nope, sorry, can't do it. God says not to." God here is "Yahwah" or "Jehovah" which is the name God gave Himself. This is translated as "Self Existent, Eternal". So Balaam comes back to the leaders and says in essence "Sorry, the Self Existant, Eternal being who loves and protects these people says no, they are blessed". Naturally they go back to Balak and tell him No go. But their story isn't quite the same. They just say "Nope, Balaam won't come".

So at this point we have Balaam knowing he has done the right thing by refusing, but Balak thinking he is just wanting more honor or more treasure. So Balak sends even more princes and treasure back to ask the same question again. This time Balaam tells them flat out: You can't give me enough to go against Almighty God. Then he invites them to spend the night while he asks God. Let's stop and think about this man for a few moments. Here is a man who is aware enough of God that he asks his guidance, does what he is told, is willing to stay up all night meditating and (likely) fasting while waiting on an answer. With all the treasure he has been offered up to this point, I believe it no idle boast when he says "even if Balak gives me his palace filled with treasure, I will not come". This man knows who God is, and that what God says is true. And he obeys.

That night while praying God speaks to him again: These men came for you, so go. But don't do anything other than what I tell you. Now God has already said "no". Why is he saying yes now? Even more interesting is the next section: Numbers 22:21-35. One of the most fascinating (and unbelieved passages) in the Old Testament. What has been happening behind the scenes is that Balaams resistance and resolve has been slowly crumbling, eroded by greed. This man knows God, obeys God, but does not put his whole trust in God. So greed overcomes his determination. Seeing that, God gives him a little relief, like a pressure valve. Of course, it would have been best had he obeyed God without any hesitation but God was still patient with him.

So the next day Balaam sets out on his donkey, following after the princes. As he is riding along the road, all of a sudden his donkey turns off onto the field. Balaams response? Beats the donkey until she goes where he wants her to. A little further, and the road narrows with a wall to a vineyard on either side. Here the donkey goes to the edge and presses Balaams foot against the wall. So he beats her again until she starts moving. A little further along again and the donkey lies down under him and refuses to move. So he beats her. Again.

Have I ever done this? I am used to a certain pattern of behavior from animals, people or machines and suddenly for no apparent reason that behavior changes, and I react with violence rather than thinking? I know that I have at times. And likely still do (or course, I don't use a whip or a crop, but I still react with anger). Now the crux of the story: As she is lying down and he is beating her, all of a sudden she turns around and asks him "What have I done that you are beating me so much?" The donkey asks him this question. His response? Pride: "You made me look like a fool, and if I had a sword I would kill you."

The donkey answers with the logic and thought Balaam should have used: Have I ever done this to you before? Is this normal for me? Only after Balaam answered "No" to this question, and presumably calmed down a little, did God open his eyes to see the angel standing there in the path with a drawn sword. This is "the angel of the Lord", which in the Old Testamant is a pre-incarnate visitation of Christ. The angel says "I have come here to oppose you because the path you are on is reckless" - "I have come" not "I was sent". Then God the son went on to say "rather than beating your donkey you should be thanking her, because she has saved your life 3 times. I would have killed you by now, but didn't to spare her life". Balaams only response was one of humility: I have sinned. Forgive me.The rest of this story is somewhat unremarkable. He goes 3 times, offers sacrifices to God, listens to God's word, then comes back and tells the king he cannot curse what God has blessed. Balak should have taken the hint the first time and realized that the best way he could prosper his country would not be to curse and attack Israel, but rather to aid them in any way possible.

Here are a few things that come to mine as I read this story. First, ask God before anything, and wait for the answer as Balaam did when the princes came. His response was "wait here. I will go and ask God". Second, if things that have always obeyed or worked correctly suddenly stop doing that, maybe it's time to stop and ask God "am I doing something wrong or reckless" and pay attention to the answer. Third, God is forgiving and looks after us even when our motives are wrong, because he loves us so much. One other thing that really struck me in this is that God loves not only us, but also the animals he has given under our control. See his response to Balaam: I would have killed you by now, but wanted to spare the donkey. Now we know that God is more than capable of eliminating Balaam while not harming the donkey at all. So what is his meaning here? This strikes me as significant (as is anything God says) but He hasn't given me any understanding of it yet. One final question I wanted to ask is how myself often do I react with anger when my pride gets offended? As Balaam did when the donkey "made him look like a fool" do I get angry with my children when they do things to make me appear foolish? Taking an honest look at myself I have to confess that yes, I do.

Lord, please give me the confidence in you that Balaam had in asking your permission and trusting your answers. I thank you that you are so merciful that you would hold off punishing me in order to not harm an animal. Thank you for your sense of humor you showed when you let the donkey turn around and say why are you doing this. Lord, thank you that no man can curse what you have blessed, and thank you that you declare those of us who trust you as blessed. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment